Sunday, November 23, 2014

Visit from Elder Bednar

11-17-14

So, I got transferred to the Heritage Oaks Ward, but as of last night, it's the Cuesta Park Ward.  I got in-zone transferred, so I am in the same Stake and still see the same missionaries basically.  The Stake realigned all the ward boundaries in the Stake to make a new ward, so that meeting happened last night.  We might be covering 2 wards, but not sure yet.  It seems like a pretty good place.  I just replaced Elder Jones, the one I trained, and everyone loves him here, which is awesome to see.  My new companion is Elder Strauss from Virginia.  I knew him from the Menlo Park Zone, but he is great.  It will be fun-haha.  He's a goofy kid!  This week was interesting.  I got transferred Tuesday and went around and visited some families, then went to 2 funerals on Wednesday and Thursday-those were interesting, but pretty good, even though I didn't know them.  Then, Saturday, we went up to the Oakland temple and went into the tri-Stake Center and had Elder Bednar talk to us!  It was really good!  It was different from other general authorities that come and talk to us.  He told us not to take notes on what he said, but on what we learn from the Spirit, because the church has a culture of taking notes and never using them again and that it is a stupid culture-haha.  It was pretty funny.  He was very straight forward and very direct with his comments to us, but I liked how he presented everything.  He had us read 3 talks beforehand and basically most of the time he asked what we learned and someone would stand up and say what they learned and he would ask a follow-up question on how they learned that or why that stood out to them and then sometimes go off of that and share his thoughts.  The other half of the meeting was us asking him questions.  It was pretty interesting and pretty cool!  I think his main focus that I got from it is to be an agent and not an object.  So basically, Ether 12:6.  We combined with the Oakland San Francisco mission so there were a lot of missionaries there.  I saw Stetson Bradshaw there-it was awesome to see him!!!!!!
I was thinking about just calling home for Christmas this time, but we'll see.  It sounds like you had  a crazy week with the flu.  I hope everyone gets feeling better!  Ya, it's been getting cold here, too.  It's in the 60s and 70s-haha.  I can't believe Thanksgiving and Vanessa's birthday are so close.  It feels like I just emailed yesterday.  This week flew by so fast!!!!  Well, I hope you have a great week this week!  Love ya!

Ofa Atu,
Elder Whaley



Elder Whaley and Elder Bradshaw, both from Sugar City


No comments:

Post a Comment